[mythtv-users] Why isn't LiveTV as smart as a regular recording?

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 14:12:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 9:38 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:

> While I don't care whether others want to watch LiveTV, I /do/ care when
> they complain that the MythTV developers need to do <whatever> work on
> MythTV.  I don't understand why people would feel entitled to a better
> LiveTV experience or any other changes to MythTV.  After all, why should
> it be the responsibility of /any/ developer to write code to please any
> user?  That's the whole point of FOSS--the source is available to anyone
> so they may add features they want.  I write code to add features I want
> or to add features that make my life easier (i.e. that reduce the number
> of times I have to answer some question that I've answered way too many
> times).  And, if you don't code, feel free to hire a professional
> developer to add the features (though I have a feeling when you get a
> quote, you'll likely decide it's better to teach yourself C++/Qt/MythTV
> programming).

I'm not sure who here was "complaining" that developers "needed to do"
work on MythTV.  There was a question of why LiveTV didn't work the
same as the recorded TV.

If questions about why things don't work as expected, or why things
don't work at all, fall under the realm of "complaining" that
developers "need to do" work, and developers carry the attitude
displayed here by a self-titled non-developer, what's the point of
having this mailing list?

Either way, this has devolved into another "fix LiveTV yourself
because I don't use it" discussion, and it appears that the OP has
found some assistance with the problem.  If I didn't have a
6-month-old, I'd delve into the programming myself, but, frankly,
programming MythTV is about the least of my concerns.  Thankfully,
there are others here that have it as a higher priority, and I
appreciate their work.

> Mike "I am not a MythTV developer" Dean (so my opinion doesn't count)

Huh.