[mythtv-users] Seagate confirms problems with 1.5TB Barracuda drives

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Thu Nov 13 06:42:51 UTC 2008

Yan Seiner wrote:

> Anyone know if this extends to the 1TB drives?  I'm seeing very, very slow
> response times if I hit my RAID5 system hard.  As in, the computer will
> freeze, sometimes for as long as 15 to 20 seconds, with nothing in the
> logs, and with top showing (when it updates) idle in the 40% to 60%
> percent.
>
> It only happens when I hit the RAID5 composed of 3 Seagate 1TB drives, not
> with the RAID6 with 6 Seagate 400GB drives.

Are you using an Adaptec RAID controller?

I have a couple Adaptec 5805 controllers for some DB servers at work,
very nice cards, pretty smart, pretty fast, but there's a bug in the
Barracuda 1TB drives with the SN04 firmware that leads to very weird
behavior, failing RAID arrays, etc. Upgrading to AN05 fixes the problem:

http://ask.adaptec.com/scripts/adaptec_tic.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=15324&p_created=1211278235&p_sid=hX1QGXdj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9MjoyJnBfcm93X2NudD0yNzEwLDI3MTAmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPWFuc3dlcnMuc2VhcmNoX25sJnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=&p_topview=1

If you're using a different controller, search the vendor's support site
for bug reports.

> Also, how do I check the firmware version on these drives?

It's written on the drive. After upgrading the firmware, I crossed it
out and wrote the new version instead, using a permanent marker.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/