[mythtv-users] SPDIF cable?

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 02:53:02 UTC 2008

>   But is there such a thing as a specific SPDIF cable to make the
> passthrough work?  Or do you just use the normal yellow RCA cable?

Assuming you are talking about coax spdif, any RCA cable should work.
If you're going longer distances are running it near extension cords a
shielded cable would be better, but you can even find shielded yellow
RCA cables sometimes.  The shielded variety are going to be almost
3/16 inch in diameter.  As long as it is easy enough to replace try it
with cables you have be it yellow or red/white cables.  If you have a
problem (audio drops out or spikes), then make sure you use a shielded
cable (coax).  You don't have to buy the one in the store that says
"Digital Audio Cable"

Personally, I took a pair of old headphones, cut off the headphones
and stuck an rca jack on the end to go from my computer to my amp...no
shielding there, and I don't really have any problems(that I can
attribute to the cable).