[mythtv-users] Problem w/ nVidia drivers 177.80???

steve sfreilly at roadrunner.com
Thu Nov 13 02:14:48 UTC 2008

Harry Devine wrote:
> OK, I had problems with my on-board ATI Radeon X1200 video and drivers,
> so I put an nVidia Geforce 7300 (I think that's what is is) in.  After
> finally getting the latest drivers installed, the frontend seemed to
> take a long time coming up.  It just hangs out on the "Pre-scaling theme
> images" window for a long time.  I let it go about 20 minutes earlier
> and it never left there.
>
> So, since my box is still a "work in progress" and I don't have anything
> on it that can't be replaced, I figured I'd nuke it and reinstall
> Mythbuntu 8.10.  I figured that maybe some weird conflict between the
> ATI drivers and the nVidia drivers might be going on.  Well, no luck.  I
> reinstalled it and its doing the same thing.  Its been on the
> "Pre-scaling theme images" window for about 30 minutes now as I type this.
>
> When I set it up from the CD, I told it to use the 177.80 drivers.  I
> couldn't find anything about there being any problems with this set of
> drivers.  There was an option to use the 173 series.  Should I try going
> into the "Restricted Hardware Drivers" GUI and loading those?
>
> Thanks for any help!
> Harry

take a look at intrepid release notes, specifically the nvidia driver
section.  http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/810

intrepid uses a new xorg and legacy drivers dont work with it. as far as
I know nvidia is either working on a fix, or already has, not sure
havent been following too close as I use a newer card.  may want to
search ubuntu-users mailing list. you can find out exactly what card you
have with the command lspci in a terminal.

--
Steve Reilly

http://reillyblog.com

"Any people anywhere, being inclined, and having the power, have the
right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new
one that suits them better."   Abraham Lincoln 1848