[mythtv-users] Have remote VNC screen at higher resolution?

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 01:57:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:18 PM, Johnny Russ <jruss at mit.edu> wrote:
>> I think this is one of the fundamental shortcomings of the vnc protocal
>> (other than the inherent slowness when compared to other programs like it,
>> like the windows's rdp protocal). Also, unlike the windows RDP protocal, you
>> can't set it to run at different resolutions when you log in. I think it may
>> be because when you run a vnc session it is really more like a screen
>> sharing session.
>>
>> You could just have another vnc session going. No need to run an NX
>> server. That's what i do. My tv is also set at 640x480, so i have a vnc
>> server setup that runs at my laptop's resolution (1280x1024) so i get full
>> screen on the laptop whenever i want to vnc in.
>
> I am currently using x11vnc (I believe this is what the Mythbuntu control
> center installs). Do you use vnc4server to accomplish the setup you
> described. That sounds like the setup I want.

I use the tightvnc server (on Gentoo) that way. It runs as a separate
X server that I can connect to via vnc. I use that rather than
X-forwarding because it allows me to reconnect to an existing session
so I don't have to log in and out all the time and I can access the
session from multiple machines if I want.

I also use x11vnc to connect to the session running the frontend. This
allows me to control Myth from my windows machine (for stuff that
MythWeb doesn't do, like MythMusic). Using vnc both ways at the same
time works fine.

Cheers,
Steve