[mythtv-users] Why isn't LiveTV as smart as a regular recording?

Brad Benson bbenso1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 00:34:45 UTC 2008

> I wish I could contribute in this way, but I can not code.
>
> The education system in my country thought it was best to teach everyone
> how to code in Visual Basic, which means I'm kinda messed up in that
> area.
>
> I'm not entirely happy with this, either. It makes me feel like a big
> leech.

Jelle,
  While your country's education system may have chosen to teach you in
Visual Basic, the underlying concepts of programming are the same regardless
of which language you use.  There are ways to learn a language other than
being specifically taught in a school.  No one taught me how to program in
C, C++, Java or Perl and yet I am able to program quite respectably in all
of them.
  I don't mean this to sound condescending, but rather to point out that it
might benefit you to take a bit of your spare time and look into C++ (as
that is what Myth is written in).  Had you taken this route 8 months ago
when that ticket was opened I'd bet you could be working on a fix for it
right now!
  Upon re-reading this I realize that it does sound a bit rude, but I'm
currently at a loss for a better way to make my point here.  Anyway, the
point is, perhaps it would be worth your while to try teaching yourself
C++.  Then you could fix the problems you have with Myth and it would even
give you something else to add to your resume.

Brad