[mythtv-users] Have remote VNC screen at higher resolution?

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Wed Nov 12 22:46:05 UTC 2008

Is there a good way to make my remote VNC screen run at a higher resolution?
I have tried looking around the VNC documentation but there are several
different VNC servers and so many different settings that it is difficult to
track down the best way to accomplish this (I suspect there several ways).
Or is there some other way you guys use for remote connections that gives
you a higher resolution screen rather than the low resolution used for the
TV?

I think this is one of the fundamental shortcomings of the vnc protocal
(other than the inherent slowness when compared to other programs like it,
like the windows's rdp protocal). Also, unlike the windows RDP protocal, you
can't set it to run at different resolutions when you log in. I think it may
be because when you run a vnc session it is really more like a screen
sharing session.

You could just have another vnc session going. No need to run an NX server.
That's what i do. My tv is also set at 640x480, so i have a vnc server setup
that runs at my laptop's resolution (1280x1024) so i get full screen on the
laptop whenever i want to vnc in.

-Steve