[mythtv-users] Why isn't LiveTV as smart as a regular recording?

Jelle De Loecker skerit at kipdola.com
Wed Nov 12 21:31:39 UTC 2008

Op woensdag 12-11-2008 om 13:23 uur [tijdzone -0800], schreef Brad
DerManouelian:
> On Nov 12, 2008, at 1:17 PM, Phil Bridges wrote:
>
> >> simplest explanation - mythtv is not designed for watching live tv or
> >> channel surfing.
> >>
> >> channel surfing is for people who don't know what they want to watch
> >> and feel compelled to watch what the network wants to show them at
> >> the
> >> time they are sitting in front of tv. Mythtv is for people who know
> >> what they want to watch, and want to watch it when they feel like it.
> >>

> > <top-posting corrected>
> >
> > *Sigh*.  If MythTV is not meant for watching LiveTV, LiveTV should not
> > be an option.
> >
> > MythTV is also for the people like me that share 4 QAM tuners, 2 SD
> > tuners, and 1 Firewire-equipped HD cable box to two televisions that
> > don't have cable run to them.
> >
> > Despite the gnashing of the teeth that LiveTV is no different that
> > scheduling recordings and immediately watching them, this is frther
> > evidence to the contrary.
>
> I'm with Phil. LiveTV should be removed from the menus.
>
> That aside, I was going more in this direction:
> It looks like Ticket 4501 needs to be updated to take virtual tuners
> into account.
> It should be implemented by a developer when they have some free time.
>
> -Brad

But these persons DO know what they want to see.

In my example I was watching "Animal Planet" and I wanted to make a well
thought over switch to the channel "één"

To do this I had to open the menu and guess which tuner was free.

I can not begin to explain this to the other people using this system.
I have 3 DVB-S cards and each card is connected to 4 diseqc ports, the
entries in that menu are impossible for them to understand.

I understand this can't be solved in a few minutes, but this ticket is 8
months old! And I feel like they think we're making some ludicrous
feature request, when this is basically how LiveTV should work.
And when this is how regular recordings work!