[mythtv-users] Why isn't LiveTV as smart as a regular recording?

Jelle De Loecker skerit at kipdola.com
Wed Nov 12 20:34:10 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

I just want to ask for a bit of attention to a very old problem:
For some strange reason, LiveTV can't switch the tuner automatically.

Here's a sketch of the problem:

So, one frontend is watching "Animal Planet".
I now want to activate another frontend and watch "één", on another
multiplex.

So, it SHOULD switch to another tuner (24>27), but it won't.
Instead, it defaults to the first available channel on the current
multiplex, Discovery Channel.

Encoder 7 is local on BARABAS and is not recording.
Encoder 8 is local on BARABAS and is not recording.
Encoder 9 is local on BARABAS and is watching Live TV: 'In too deep:
Scotland' on Animal Planet. This recording will end at 21:00.
Encoder 10 is local on BARABAS and is watching Live TV: 'Dirty Jobs' on
Discovery Channel. This recording will end at 21:00.

Encoder 20 is local on BARABAS and is not recording.
Encoder 21 is local on BARABAS and is not recording.
Encoder 22 is local on BARABAS and is not recording.
Encoder 23 is local on BARABAS and is not recording.

Encoder 24 is local on BARABAS and is not recording.
Encoder 25 is local on BARABAS and is not recording.
Encoder 26 is local on BARABAS and is not recording.
Encoder 27 is local on BARABAS and is not recording.
-----------------

This has been discussed in this ticket:
http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4909

And this is another one:
http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/4989

I know I can change the tuner manually but I can NOT start to explain
this to the other people using this installation. And it's NOT user
friendly in any way.

I'm just wondering "Why is this so difficult?"
When you record a show it WILL automatically choose the correct tuner,
that's what makes it so great.
I can choose to record 5 shows at once and the system will automatically
choose the right tuner.

Why, oh WHY, can't LiveTV!?