[mythtv-users] migrating to HDTV

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Wed Nov 12 16:07:44 UTC 2008

Dr NoName wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I currently have MythTV box with the following hardware:
>
> Athlon XP 2400+ (2GHz)
> NVidia GeForce FX 5700
> Hauppage WinTV PVR 250
>
> It has all been working great with standard NTSC video. Since it's going
> to disappear in february, I want to understand my options for migrating
> to HDTV. Thanks in advance for answering my questions.
>
> 1. AFAIK the external HDTV tuner that you can get for a standard TV
> takes over channel switching, which means that I can't really use the
> PVR card in the myth box any more: it would essentially be locked to
> whatever channel the external tuner is set to. Correct?
>
> 2. I am looking into getting pcHDTV card, since I hear it's the most
> Linux-compatible, but I am concerned about performance. Until now this
> was a non-issue since PVR card does on-board MPEG2 encoding. Does pcHDTV
> do that or is the stream encoded in software?
>
> 3. Playback performance is another issue. Will 1920x1080 work on my
> current box? I hear NVdia cards have playback acceleration but it's not
> well supported. What's the deal with that? I currently output S-Video to
> my TV, so I guess it would have to scale it down in real time.
>
> 4. What about cable? Is pcHDTV antenna-only or can I also record from
> cable? (unencrypted channels perhaps?)
>
> 5. Can I use the current antenna for HD or do I need to buy a new one?
>

> thanks,
>
> Eugene

Hi Eugene...

I have a single core MBE and a duel core SBE both w/ATSC tuners.  I have
never been able to use the MBE to playback OTA ATSC HD (1080 or 720) w/o
some sort of jitter problems.  Further at times (i.e. when commercial
flagging) the MBE has problems serving up *any* type of recording (i.e.
OTA ATSC HD, SD or NTSC).  I think my MBE is faster then yours:

> (
> Important stuff:
> model name      : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 3.06GHz
> cpu MHz         : 3073.674
> cache size      : 256 KB
> MemTotal:       906292 kB
> Model:           GeForce 6200
> Card Type:       AGP
> This box is using 1 Logical Volume made up of 6 partitions on 3 Hard
> Drives (2 IDE and 1 SATA).
> )

...true, there is some tuning I can do to improve things.  I can
increase the HDD latency (sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't
(i.e. when the MBE is busy w/something else)).  I can turn on hardware
decoding on the video card (but this makes editing almost impossible &
turns all the overlays to B&W).  But in the end, I was never able to get
rid of all jitter.

I haven't tried to move my sql data base onto it's own hard drive (I
swallowed the Logical Volume paradigm pill and regretfully have
everything on the MBE in 1 LV - bad move - don't do it!).

OTOH, the SBE with a duel core is able to play back anything that is
locally stored (i.e. stuff it recorded).

I don't think Mythtv gives you any information as to where stuff is
stored while playing back videos.  This makes it a bit hard to verify
where to check when one sees problems.

After all the time I have spent on this ...  (and judging from no follow
ups for suggestions (search back here a week for my post on tuning up my
MBE)), I would say: "Upgrade your system or replace it with a duel core
board.".  You can probably do it (mother board and processor) for less
then $200.  I think looking at the sale ads last week I was speculating
I could do it for about $150.