[mythtv-users] mythTV + USB MPEG Tuner + NSLU2 ?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Nov 12 15:00:08 UTC 2008

David Watkins wrote:
>> I am wondering what experiences people have had with mythTV, external USB
>> MPEG tuners (i.e. a plextor convertx PXTV402), and a LinkSys NSLU2? Is it
>> possible to just run the backend with a USB tuner on something low powered
>> like a NSLU2? (I don't need the mythtv front end working. I am utilizing
>> mythtv's web interface to record shows and I am downloading the shows to
>> view on a different computer. )
>
> I doubt it.
>
> I run a combined mythtv FE/BE and, about a year ago moved all my music
> files off that box onto a NSLU2 NAS drive.  This works fine using
> mythmusic on the FE/BE.
>
>  I have also played the occasional mythvideo file off the NAS and this
> sort-of works, although if anything else tries to access the NAS at
> the same time then it struggles.  Basically the NAS is a fairly
> sluggish fileserver and I'd be suprised if it has the horsepower to
> run mythbackend and mysql as well as manage the storage.
>
> However if you search gossamer thread mytht users'  for NSLU2, I
> remember a couple of people who have got mythbackend to run on a slug
> so, in theory, something's possible.
>
> BTW don't think I'm running the Slug down.  I think they're great
> little machines and have three of them.

I have 4 of them, they are great little machines, basically a complete
computer for under $100. Very green as well, they pull about 5 watts.

I picked up my 4 when the local Walmart was dumping them for $23 each.

A lot of folks are running Asterisk systems on them. I ran one as a mail
server for over a year.

The limitations are the limited RAM, and the lack of an FPU. I had to
find an integer-based MP3 player to play music on one.

You could probably get one to store the output of a Plextor 402U, but,
as was mentioned, you'd be taxing it pretty heavily.

Slugs are great little toys, and have a lot of capability in a small
box, but I certainly wouldn't try running Myth on one.

beww