[mythtv-users] migrating to HDTV

Dr NoName spamacct11 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 12 01:35:06 UTC 2008

thanks for your reply.

You can use an IR Blaster to change the channel. Since most ATSC
converter boxes have video composite out, you could output the
video/audio to your capture card if you have a card like the PVR250
that has composite in.

Is this the hack where the box pretends to be the remote? And I need the IR sender hardware for it?

There is no encoded needed since the ATSC stream is already in MPEG2.
Also look at the HDHomerun. I have both and like the HDHR better.

How does HDHomerun work? Looks like an external networked box.

Anyway, does this mean that recording will take only 1-2% of the CPU like it does now? The only part I need to worry about is playback?

If you get an nVidia card with XvMC then you might get by with your
current setup. All my nVidia cards have been great and have included
this feature. There is a webpage on the MythTV wiki that has info
about XvMC.

I have GeForce FX 5700. Is that supported? What kind of CPU do I need to play HDTV content with XvMC? I will still output through S-Video. Does that increase or decrease CPU requirements?

If you are already on cable, oyou can continue using your cable since
the 2009 conversion if for OTA only.

ok, but does pcHDTV (or whatever) work with any cable signal?

It depends on your antenna of course. There really is no "special"
antenna for ATSC. Most broadcasts will be in the UHF band, but a few
will move into the VHF bands. You'll have to be more specific on the
antenna that you have and the area that you are in.

uhhh... just a standard thing with two telescoping rods and a round thing in the middle.

thanks,

Eugene