[mythtv-users] liveTV sucking up CPU cycles?

Jason spuppet at comcast.net
Mon Nov 10 16:55:24 UTC 2008

>>> If both the LiveTV and Default (or whatever you're using) recording
>>> profile are set exactly the same, watching LiveTV uses extra
>>> resources:
>>> 1. It's recording the file and playing it back which may be difficult
>>> in some file systems
>>> 2. It's inserting information into recordedseek while it's recording
>>>
>>> I may have forgotten other things, but these are the obvious
>>> differences. Again - assuming LiveTV profile is set the same as your
>>> recording profile. I keep repeating that because I ran into this
>>> issue
>>> a while back and it turned out that I had LiveTV quality set to the
>>> max on my PVR-350 and Default set to substantially lower quality.
>>
>> I would think they would be the same process. How is starting a
>> recording, then watching it a few minutes into the recording much
>> different than watching a LiveTV recording (or am I missing
>> something)?
>
> In that case, check to make sure your LiveTV profile is set up exactly
> the same as your recording profile. (Third time I've said it and no
> one has responded with "yes, this is exactly the same".)

Yes!  I can confirm that all profiles have the same settings.  LiveTV,
Default, High Quality and Low Quality all have the same settings in my test
system with my HDPVR.  I had looked at this info last night and had meant to
include it in my mail, but forgot.

Testing this morning with a SD program, I saw CPU load of around 35% for
mythfrontend when watching via livetv.  Watching via a recording in
progress, the average was a bit lower:  Around 31-32%.  It's not a huge
difference for SD programs, but it is different.  In the test system, it's
not noticeable, but if I did the same on my production system with HD (an
AppleTV) it would be a make or break sort of thing.

Jason