[mythtv-users] Comcast rendering my HDHR useless

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Mon Nov 10 15:54:11 UTC 2008

I noticed Comcast dropping all the clear QAM. So I dropped them. I
discovered that I get excellent ATSC reception, enough that the amplified
antenna I put on the roof is now too powerful and I need to locate an
atenuator to drop it down a bit. That plus supplementing over the internet
for a few shows (hulu and such) or just waiting for the DVD/Bluray to come
out, I'm set. And I'm saving almost $100/month. Myth has helped a ton in
this, as it's the best soultion I've found for a homebrew PVR. So re-direct
that HDHR and use it for ATSC. :)

I'll consider Cable or Satellite again when I can get an open device to
decode the channels I pay for. Encryption is fine, on the wire, so long as I
can use the signal I pay for with my devices. That means Myth. And I require
open source drivers for the tuning devices. The data stream coming out of
the device must have no DRM, encryption, etc.. I paid for it, I want to use
it my way (no, that does not include putting it on the internet).

Not that I expect that to happen anytime soon.