[mythtv-users] Help with TV out ( S-VIDEO / RCA ) with Nvidia - Cards or MOBOs

Johnny Russ jruss at mit.edu
Mon Nov 10 02:38:34 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 8:33 PM, Jeff Holicky
<myth.myth_user at myth.sent.com>wrote:

>  I am going around in circles trying to solve - what modern MOBO (ASUS) or
> cheapo Nvidia card support S-VIDEO and RCA (composite) out?  Are there cards
> / MOBOs I should be looking at? (Wiki on S-VIDEO out seems to suggest older
> gear).
>
> Or should I not bother with that criteria (as long as the board has the
> proper drivers) - and instead concentrate on getting a board/MOBO with DVI
> and merely buy a DVI to S-VIDEO / COMPOSITE converter?
>
> Once such a best exists at Apple -
> http://store.apple.com/us/product/M9267G/A
> Would that work?  Does Nvidia have a cheapo standard converter?
>
> So far the only MOBOS that have this stuff are the VIA boards.  I do have a
> need for both S-VIDEO and RCA for playback on SD TVs.
>
> Help would be appreciated!
>
>  I wouldn't go with the DVI to S-Video adapter. I beleive those are
specialized parts designed to work with a particular card. They usually
aren't actually doing any conversion, rather they use special pins that are
made available with that particual card for that purpose. You can get
general purpose converters but the usually cost much more than a video card
with s-video out. Nvidia makes plenty of cards with S-Video out. I have
several FX5200 cards that have S-Video out. The general consensus for mythtv
is to buy an nvidia card with svideo out. You can find several in the
$20-$40 range depending on what kind of slot you need. Just check google or
newegg for nvidia and s-video. To get composite you can use an S-Video to
composite cable. Although S-Video will give you much better picture, so go
with that first if it is an option.