[mythtv-users] Poor de-interlacing when ripping DVD, solution?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 02:33:00 UTC 2008

Hi

2008/11/10 Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>:
> Use perfect quality (i.e. ISO's)?

The aim is to store as much as possible on my backend... So while I
don't mind the reduction in the resolution, seeing such obvious
interlacing effects is really crappy.

This isn't the only DVD showing these artefacts.

> Note, also, that /many/ DVD's of originally-interlaced are produced very
> cheaply.  In some cases, the content is "up-converted" to 480p, but the
> DVD producer fails to deinterlace the content, so you get the garbage
> you're seeing.  I've seen this in at least one place on pretty much
> every single TV-series DVD I've ever watched (often in menus or
> logos/ads or credits/cut-scenes or extras, but I actually have some
> DVD's where it's the entire DVD).  So, make sure that the original DVD
> actually plays right, too.

That's the thing, the original DVD looks very nice and doesn't exhibit
such problem when using either VLC or mythfrontend...

So obviously the issue comes from the ripper/converter..

Jean-Yves