[mythtv-users] Poor de-interlacing when ripping DVD, solution?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Nov 10 02:07:27 UTC 2008

On 11/09/2008 08:58 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> I'm ripping some of my DVDs for convenience on my PC using MythTV,
> using the "good" quality option.
>
> I've noticed that de-interlacing isn't done properly at all, it looks
> terrible like during fast moving scene like the "Gaumont" production
> scene:
>
> Screen capture is attached:
> http://www.avenard.org/pictures/myth.png
>
> That's on my 1280x800 laptop, on a 46" TV it looks worse obviously....
>
> Any ideas on how to prevent this from happening ? it's very noticeable...

Use perfect quality (i.e. ISO's)?

Note, also, that /many/ DVD's of originally-interlaced are produced very
cheaply.  In some cases, the content is "up-converted" to 480p, but the
DVD producer fails to deinterlace the content, so you get the garbage
you're seeing.  I've seen this in at least one place on pretty much
every single TV-series DVD I've ever watched (often in menus or
logos/ads or credits/cut-scenes or extras, but I actually have some
DVD's where it's the entire DVD).  So, make sure that the original DVD
actually plays right, too.

Just proves the old adage, "If you want it done right..."  Hard to do it
yourself, though, if they sell you garbage for the source material.

Mike