[mythtv-users] appletv coexist with myth -- oops

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Sun Nov 9 22:01:13 UTC 2008

>  > The AppleTV uses GPT formatted partitions. MBR is ignored on GPT
>>  formatted disks and the AppleTV uses EFI to boot.
>
>I didn't realize that, so how does it know which partition to look at
>to boot?  Could this be simply rectified with parted?

parted at a last resort. parted is a disk partitioner and will wipe
the contents.

>  > Your best bet is to use atv-bootloader on a USB flash drive to see
>>  what grub did and try to correct it if possible.
>
>I'm not sure what I'd be looking for here, any suggestions?

under penbuntu

ls /dev/sd*

looking for sda*, that's the internal disk

sda1 -> EFI
sda2 -> Recovery
sda3 -> OSBoot
sda4 -> Media

EFI is fat32 and should be empty
Recovery is hfsplus and should contain the recovery partition bits
OSBoot is hfsplus journaled, this is AppleTV OS
Media is hfsplus journaled where r/w and media contents live

atv-booloader does not know how to mount fat32, a patchstick created
by atvusb-creator does know about fat32 (newer version of
atv-bootloader)

use parted to list the partitions. penbuntu also has gptsync for
sync'ing the MBR to the gpt partitions. only the first four GPT
partitions will be sync'ed. If recovery/osboot are popped, gptsync
will not help you.

The important thing is to check recovery and osboot partitions. I bet
they have been wiped. So possible you are looking at a complete
rebuild operation without having a good recovery contents. see

http://code.google.com/p/atv-bootloader/wiki/ATVBackup ->Opps I did
not make a backup