[mythtv-users] What is current Myth - R5000 HD status?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Sun Nov 9 21:02:27 UTC 2008

On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 8:38 PM, Mark <fairlane at springcom.com> wrote:
> Marc Randolph wrote:
>> In that case, get one modified knowing that someday in the future, for
>> a host of possible reasons, you'll likely have to buy an HD-PVR (or by
>> then, perhaps an equivalent product).  Maybe David George's MJPEG2000
>> "pvrcompanion" box will be out by then.  In the mean time, you'll be
>> getting the best quality you can.
>>
> Care to elaborate on the above?  Would the R5000 be going obsolete soon
> then?  My understanding
> was that the HD-PVR is more vulnerable to obsolescence due to the
> ability of the manufacturer to shut off the
> component outputs, regardless of the likelyhood.

Last time this type of topic came up, my impression of the consensus
was that the component output is presently used by too many customers
for it to be shut-off.  I know the provider can do anything they want,
but they also have to weigh the outcome, and in this case, it seems
unlikey they would do such a thing.

My response was more following on the previous post, which pointed out
that it was a single provider solution.  While you may be very happy
with your present service, in my mind, the average person would get
more (longer) use out of a componet capture device than with the R5000
because they could take it with them when they change providers.

But as I said, the R5000 is presumably the best quality you can get
right now, so I'd be tempted to go with it anyway.  By the time it
isn't useful to you (in a year, or ten), who knows what new device(s)
will be out.

   Marc