[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu upgrade 8.04 -> 8.10, didn't go so well

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Sat Nov 8 22:12:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 9, 2008 at 3:16 AM, Kingsley Turner <krt at krt.com.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've upgraded Mythbuntu from 8.04 -> 8.10, mainly because my box seemed
> to no longer be able to play DVDs.
>
> Perhaps this was something to do with patching the kernel for UDF 2.5,
> but I'm fairly sure I backed out to the old drivers successfully
> (basically restoring the old udk.ko module that I backed up)
>
> Anyway, I figured an upgrade would replace all that with a new kernel,
> that can do UDF 2.5 out of the box.
>
> The upgrade itself was fairly painless, and seamless, and (except what's
> noted below) everything works ok.
>
> Except I still can't play DVDs, can't even rip them!
>
> The new X-windows keyboard manager prevents the ~/.Xmodmap from working
> - breaking the Logitech diNovo Mini setup.
>
> And sound on HD channels (e.g.: BBC HD) is now either: silent, static,
> or ok for a few seconds.
>
> It's basically a world of pain at the moment.
>
> So ...
>
> Can anyone suggest how I might go about diagnosing what's wrong with DVD
> playback ?
>
> or
>
> How I can tell X to leave my bloody keyboard alone, just take modmap,
> and get on with it.
>
> I think the sound thing might be some performance issue or something, I
> dunno.  (or maybe this is part of the DVD playback problem)

I'm going to post this to the ubuntu/mythbuntu forums, but my upgrade went
perfectly EXCEPT that I lost digital passthrough ability!

I have had my device set to ALSA:default since 7.10 (so a year now), but
with this upgrade (and no other changes) it gives me the dreaded
digital-pop-static (eg the analog version of the digital stream).

By some guesswork I finally got things to work (INCLUDING dvd playback with
DD/DTS passthrough) by:
-changing myth audio from 5.1 to stereo in the upmix settings
-turning OFF myth mixer controls (otherwise I got 20-30 lines about "missing
PCM mixer" every video???)
-changing my device to ALSA:hw:0,0

Now for the weird bit:
-hw:0,0 SHOULD be analog (from aplay -l) but actually works with digital
passthrough
-hw:0,1 throws an error every time (even though aplay says THAT should be my
digital port)
-I CANNOT get 5.1 upmix to work any more, it always talks about not enough
channels

Does anyone have any ideas why alsa:default no longer works for passthrough?