[mythtv-users] Channel guide is way too slow

Jelle De Loecker skerit at kipdola.com
Sat Nov 8 21:14:58 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

So I have +/- 2500 channels in my channel list, the perks of using
satellite television.

When I try to open the guide it takes about 50 seconds for it to load.
"Browsing" in this lists takes a while, too. When I press up or down it
can sometimes take a few seconds.

This is what happens on my dual core system, so you can imagine what
happens on my poor, little Apple TV! (running Mythbuntu)

Once I've tried to "hide" most of the channels in the channels table.
(Nearly all, I only had 20 channels left) but that didn't do much for my
Apple TV frontend: it was still browsing WAY too slow.

I've read that disabling channel icons can help, but it really didn't.

Mind you, I'm NOT even talking about the guide in live tv. I'm talking
about the regular kind, the one you can get to in the menu.

I'm using the trunk of mythtv, btw.