[mythtv-users] Myth and DTV Converter Box

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Sat Nov 8 16:08:14 UTC 2008

Rod Smith wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 02:00:03 pm Mitch Gore wrote:
>> Upgrading your tuner card will most likely be cheaper...
>>
>> I bought a air2pc off ebay.  works great:
>> http://cgi.ebay.com/Air2PC-ATSC-OTA-Digital-HDTV-Tuner-PCI-Card_W0QQitemZ19
>> 0257932142QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190257932142&_trkparms=72%3A1205|39%3A1|66
>> %3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
>>
>> I won mine for $32 shipped.
>>
>> Compare that the converter boxes.  $20 for box (w/coupon) + ~$20 for an IR
>> blaster...plus configure all that, woring about consistancy of IR blasting,
>> dont bump it etc...i hope you see where this is going
>
> Another advantage of using a digital tuner card is that it's one less
> digital-analog-digital conversion. Each such conversion reduces the quality.
> If you're more concerned about storage space, you can of course transcode
> after recording.

I think this is actually a good idea:

- You off load the HD to SD compression to the SetTopBox.

- Many of us have a analogue video input on our tuner card going to wast.

- Some media extenders do not work well with HD and / or SD ATSC
recordings.**

- You might be able to keep the mythtv programming information and
features.***

**I know our new HP "Media" duel processor lap top chokes on any mythtv
UPNP programming other then the NTSC recordings. <sarcasm> Nice
</sarcasm>.

***Many mythtv users offer up lower BW transcoded mythtv programming
through VLC.  But as this feature is not built into mythtv.  So all
(most?) of the mythtv features of playback are lost.

---

So, which Set Top Box works best w/mythtvs?