[mythtv-users] PVR-500 Audio glitching

Norm Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Fri Nov 7 19:54:41 UTC 2008

Anthony R. Baker wrote:
> Norm Dugas ha scritto:
>
>> I'm not really sure how to describe the issue I'm seeing (hearing) other
>> than to call it audio glitching.  I thought I'd ask here to see if
>> anyone else has experienced this with a PVR-500.  The best way I could
>> describe it is that while audio is playing, you sometimes hear some
>> strange squealing.  It's like the audio speeds up for a moment but not
>> really.  At first, I thought it was the audio on my FE but when I heard
>> the same sound at the same spots on a 2nd FE, I was sure it was the
>> source.  Next, I listened to the raw recording (pulled it out using
>> Nuvexport) and it was there too.  I've gone through the mythbackend logs
>> and any other log I can think of but I don't see any errors.  What's
>> interesting is that it's not consistent.  Maybe it's tied to one of the
>> tuners?  How can I tell which tuner recorded a program?
>>
>> Backend:
>> Asus P5LD2 Deluxe
>> Intel Pentium D (don't remember which but each core is at 2.8 G)
>> 2 Gig memory
>> Hauppauge PVR-500
>> 2x Samsung 1T SATA drives
>> 4x Seagate 420G ATA drives
>> Running Mythbuntu 8.04
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Norm
>>

> I think this is a new round of an old problem. I have had the problem on
> Mythdora 4 it stopped on day after an update but nothing in the change log
> was intended for the PVR-500.It came back when I upgraded to Mythdora 5 but
> would go away after I  reset the audio channel as this page says
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_PVR-500#Audio_Instability
> I set this as a cron job and everything was ok until about a month ago when
> it started again. Now the first time it does it I have to reboot to get rid
> of it.Three or four days later it comes back.

This is a start.  I had seen that but noticed that the script segment
talked about Direct TV so I thought this may be tied to capturing
external audio, not the audio from cable.  I noticed that the problem
went away for a few days after a reboot too.  I just don't want to be
rebooting since this always messes up the firewire on my DCT which then
requires some fussing to get working again.  I'll try to reset the audio
like in the Wiki on both tuners once I notice the audio chirping again
to see if this helps any.