[mythtv-users] Front end CPU recommendations?

Travis Tabbal travis at tabbal.net
Thu Nov 6 21:43:07 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Joe <jfwd at phlobus.net> wrote:

> Content source is over-the-air ATSC broadcast - not sure of the
> resolution/encoding rate that the stations around here use (CT-USA), but if
> there's some way to find out I could post back.  Is there a utility that I
> could point at one of the recorded mpeg files that will show the details of
> the encoding?  It might shed some light as to why some play smooth and some
> do not.

mediainfo is pretty useful here...

> Interestingly, all recordings play back OK if I watch them as recorded
> shows - live TV is where the issue shows up.  The picture and audio stutter
> when watching live TV on some HD channels, other HD channels are OK.  If I
> watch a recorded show from the same channel (even if it's recording the show
> at the time) it will play back fine.  Given that CPU usage is at 100% even
> during "good" playback, I assumed that live TV  puts just enough extra load
> so the system cannot keep up.

I've only ever used Live TV for testing the connection to the HDHR. :) Not
sure why you wouldn't be able to play that but could play a recording
though. ATSC just records the bitstream, nothing magic there. Could the
backend be just a little overloaded with the disk and network I/O required
for Live?

> I haven't seen any issue with noise, but that's more about the case and
>> fans. I'm using a nice Antec case
>

> This is why I was hoping to use a low power part when I upgrade - less
> power means less heat and less air movement needed to maintain the same
> temperature.  There are some pretty quiet fans out there, but you can't beat
> one that doesn't have to spin.
>
> My current thought is that I'll just order the highest-clocked athlon X2 or
> Core2 duo I can find at <= 45W thermal power.

Probably a good idea. If you want lower power use I would check the
Core2Duos. They seem to be better in that regard than the X2s at the same
clock rates. I'd aim for about 2Ghz, that seemed to work well for me with
ATSC. Obviously, there are many things that can make a difference here, so
you might want to buy a little more CPU than you think you need if you can
afford it (both $ and power/heat).