[mythtv-users] Slightly OT: rsync backup from mythbox -> desktop/FE

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Nov 4 22:29:55 UTC 2008

Bobby Gill wrote:
> I am using Arch linux. I have various rsync commands in my crontab,
> .bashrc, etc. set to run daily and they go just fine-- is that what
> we're talking about? I think by "rsync server" I am taking it to mean
> another location to rsync to.

It's an alternate way to use rsync.  Rsync on one machine acts like a
server, running on its own network port, and the rsync client connects
to it.  It's useful for situations where you don't have a network
filesystem between the two machines.

If what you have is working for you, there's probably no reason to set
up a server.