[mythtv-users] A quick look at Mythbuntu 8.10

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Tue Nov 4 18:27:08 UTC 2008

Colin McGregor wrote:

> trivial was the screen save is on by default (which I don't want). Far

I wish the black screensaver was enabled, but with something like 20%
transparency. That would be pretty cool, and would not confuse people
("is the screensaver on, or is this thing turned off?"). But I have no
idea how to do that.

> more serious was watching OTA HDTV, which would stutter every few
> seconds, something I find unacceptable.

Sounds like some X or driver config tweak missing.

I used Mythbuntu 8.04 and 8.10 - either standalone, or as a frontend
with the backend running on CentOS 5, and HD works very well. The
resolution is set to 1080p and everything is scaled / deinterlaced live.
Even with a slow graphics card (embedded GeForce 8200, shared memory,
slower than molasses), it's still fast enough.

This is true for both situations: either using the X / NVidia default
settings made by the installer, or using a xorg.conf file generated by
the NVidia config tool.

By the way, I activated the most recent drivers offered by the distro,
ver 177. Mythbuntu allows you to choose, so I went with the most recent.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/