[mythtv-users] configuring lirc for vlc

Tim H. tim-mythtv.org at timhunt.net
Tue Nov 4 11:48:04 UTC 2008

northernsoulman wrote:
 > Hi, I've read countless posts on this subject but as yet have failed to
 > get the results I want! I'm using vlc to play DVDs in Mythdora 5.0
 > (basically because it plays ALL my DVDs reliably - wish I could get xine
 > to work but that's another story). I've edited my
 > /home/mythtv/.vlc/vlcrc file to have the line control=lirc I've added
 > button assignments to my /home/mythtv/.mythtv/lircrc - for example: #
 > Pause playback begin prog = vlc button = PAUSE repeat = 3 config =
 > key-play-pause end # Seek forward 10 seconds begin prog = vlc button =
 > Forward repeat = 3 config = key-jump+10sec end HOWEVER, only "play"
 > "pause" "stop" and the navigation buttons in a DVD menu (up, down, left,
 > right) will actually do anything. I simply can't get fast forward,
 > rewind, bookmarks, chapter jumps etc etc to work from my remote......I'm
 > using a mceusb remote with all the buttons mapped out in my lircd.conf -
 > and everything works fine when using xine to playback recordings. Any
 > help appreciated - thanks :O ) Simon

These work for me.  The trick is that every key on the remote has to be
redefined for vlc. I now use VLC to play back all video content since it
seems to have better codec support.

FWIW, this is on Mydora 5/Fedora 8 with VLC 9.x and an mceusb remote.

Hope they help you.

Tim
------------------------------------
Script to start vlc - I've put it in /usr/bin/mythvlc. You may need to
change to audio parameters if you're not using digital audio. Any other
vlcrc files should not be needed.

You can then play a DVD with the command:-

mythvlc dvdnav://[device|filename]

or to play a video:-

mythvlc file://filename
--------------------------------------
#! /bin/sh

CMD="/usr/bin/vlc --alsadev spdif --spdif --no-video-title-show
--aout-rate=48000 -f --video -on-top --mouse-hide-timeout 500 --intf
dummy --extraintf lirc"

echo $CMD "$@" vlc:quit
exec $CMD "$@" vlc:quit
--------------------------------------
And this is my vlc lirc settings. I've put it in ~/.lirc/vlc and then
included it in ~/.lircrc by adding the line 'include ~/.lirc/vlc'. You
may need to tweak it for a different remote, and some of the repeat
settings need a little tuning.
--------------------------------------
# Play/Pause -> key-play-pause
# Pause only -> key-pause
# Play only -> key-play
# Faster -> key-faster
# Slower -> key-slower
# Next -> key-next
# Previous -> key-prev
# Stop -> key-stop
# Position -> key-position
# Very short backwards jump -> key-jump-extrashort
# Very short forward jump -> key-jump+extrashort
# Short backwards jump -> key-jump-short
# Short forward jump -> key-jump+short
# Medium backwards jump -> key-jump-medium
# Medium forward jump -> key-jump+medium
# Long backwards jump -> key-jump-long
# Long forward jump -> key-jump+long
# Activate -> key-nav-activate
# Navigate up -> key-nav-up
# Navigate down -> key-nav-down
# Navigate left -> key-nav-left
# Navigate right -> key-nav-right
# Go to the DVD menu -> key-disc-menu
# Select previous DVD title -> key-title-prev
# Select next DVD title -> key-title-next
# Select prev DVD chapter -> key-chapter-prev
# Select next DVD chapter -> key-chapter-next
# Quit -> key-quit
# Volume up -> key-vol-up
# Volume down -> key-vol-down
# Mute -> key-vol-mute

### VLC config

# Show OSD
begin
prog = vlc
button = MENU
config = osd
end

# Pause playback
begin
prog = vlc
button = PAUSE
config = key-play-pause
end

# Play
begin
prog = vlc
button = PLAY
config = key-play
end

begin
prog = vlc
button = Rewind
config = key-jump-short
end

begin
prog = vlc
button = Forward
config = key-faster
end

# Stop playback and exit
begin
prog = vlc
button = STOP
config = key-quit
end

# Volume Down
begin
prog = vlc
button = VolDown
repeat = 3
config = key-vol-down
end

# Volume Up
begin
prog = vlc
button = VolUp
repeat = 3
config = key-vol-up
end

# Faster
begin
prog = vlc
button = ChanUp
config = key-faster
end

# Slower
begin
prog = vlc
button = ChanDown
config = key-slower
end

# Mute
begin
prog = vlc
button = Mute
config = key-vol-mute
end

# Seek back 10 seconds
begin
prog = vlc
button = One
repeat = 3
config = key-jump-short
end

# Seek forward 10 seconds
begin
prog = vlc
button = Three
repeat = 3
config = key-jump+short
end

# Quit
begin
prog = vlc
button = BACK
config = key-quit
end

begin
prog = vlc
button = EXIT
config = key-quit
end

begin
prog = vlc
button = LiveTV
repeat = 1
config = key-quit
end

begin
prog = vlc
button = RecordedTV
repeat = 1
config = key-quit
end

begin
prog = vlc
button = Guide
repeat = 1
config = key-quit
end

# Seek forward 1 minute
begin
prog = vlc
button = Skip
repeat = 3
config = key-jump+medium
end

# Seek backward 1 minute
begin
prog = vlc
button = Replay
repeat = 3
config = key-jump-medium
end

# Seek forward 5 minutes
begin
prog = vlc
button = Six
repeat = 3
config = key-jump+long
end

# Seek backward 5 minutes
begin
prog = vlc
button = Four
repeat = 3
config = key-jump-long
end

# Position - shows where you are in the video
begin
prog = vlc
button = More
config = key-position