[mythtv-users] Cannot login to database

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 04:27:16 UTC 2008

greg wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> OK, I just installed Mythbuntu 8.10.  My tuner cards, video, and sound
>> are all good, and I just went through and added my LIRC stuff.  When I
>> rebooted, my system now comes up asking me to choose a language, and
>> when I do, it tells me that it cannot login to the database.  I never
>> changed anything in that area.  Why would this happen all of a sudden?
>> How can I get it back to a usable state?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harry

> $ mysql -u root -p < /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
> enter password

I got it working now, but I'm not 100% sure what I did.  For some reason
my system kept going back to DHCP even when I told it to go static.  I
think that somehow mysql was setup using the DHCP address instead of my
static address.  I fixed that up, then did the following from with mysql:

        mysql -u root -p (enter root's password)
        use mysql;
        grant all privileges on mythconverg.* to mythtv@'%' identified
by 'mythtv' with grant option;
        flush privileges;

After that I was able to login to mysql as both root and mythtv, then
when I rebooted, it came up normally.  Very odd, but I'm back.

Thanks for the help!
Harry