[mythtv-users] searching previously recorded stuff

Clay nt4usb at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 02:44:49 UTC 2008

> From: Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] searching previously recorded stuff
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Monday, November 3, 2008, 7:59 PM
> On Nov 3, 2008, at 4:32 PM, Clay wrote:
>
> >> life, probably a good time to flatline the boxes,
> upgrade, and
> >> start over.
>
> You may run into troubles upgrading because you have been
> manually
> altering your database for years. They may be in an
> unsupported state
> and therefore, the upgrade script might not know what
> it's supposed to
> do with your modifications. Yet another reason not to use
> phpmyadmin
> on your database.

May be.
I've heard 0.21 has different stuff in the DB than 0.20 so I might not be so lucky...
When I moved from 0.19 to 0.20 it didn't like my DB so I deleted the DB and replaced it with a backup from 0.19, then fixed what broke. nbd.
iirc, 0.18 to 0.19 wasn't a problem...
The master has been an evolution from Dapper and 0.18 to Feisty and 0.20. A lot of stuff that's automagic now, I still have to do (or fix) manually after updates, upgrades, etc. because it was mostly built from scratch in the beginning. It was my first experience with Linux, building the PVR. Learned a bunch I never would have had I been able to just download it from the repositories.
Wouldn't hurt at all to start over with a fresh install. Wouldn't even miss the DB if it got trashed.
What I would miss is all the custom tweaks I've made along the way, which I didn't document, and probably couldn't even list sitting in front of the machine.