[mythtv-users] searching previously recorded stuff

Clay nt4usb at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 4 00:32:27 UTC 2008

> From: Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] searching previously recorded stuff
> To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Monday, November 3, 2008, 5:37 PM
> On Nov 3, 2008, at 3:25 PM, Clay wrote:
>
> > Agreed. And thanks for taking my post in the spirit it
> was
> > intended... slightly tongue in cheek, and not a flame.
> > Apparently, phpmyadmin does some validation though.
> Occasionally a
> > change gets failed and phpmyadmin shows what I did
> wrong.
>
> The only validation it might do is to ensure the data
> entered matches
> the data type expected (like.. you enter a letter in an
> integer
> field). I'm worried about things like changing the Card
> ID in one
> table that is referenced by another table that you
> didn't know was
> there and now mythtv encounters an error looking up the
> Card ID
> because it doesn't match between the tables. I
> don't know if that's
> true, but I've certainly built enough database
> applications to know
> that this is a likely scenario.
>
> > I've never figured out how to get my (oh, what the
> heck do you call
> > those cards? The ones that capture the stream direct
> to the hard
> > drive?) AVER A180 and Kworld ATSC115 to grab a lineup
> so I have them
> > scan all channels, then manually remove hundreds of
> empty carriers
> > and manually edit the remaining channel numbers and
> callsigns.
> > Tedious work using phpmyadmin. A thousand times more
> so using
> > MythTV's interface. Impossible (for me) using the
> command line.
>
> I guess my advice would be to fix the problem and not have
> to hack the
> solution over and over again. I don't have these cards
> or this problem
> so I can't help you fix them, but I can tell you that
> you should not
> have to do that.

My PVR-150s are automatic. Just those other cards that are a pita.
I've read that 0.21 has features that should make this easier. Also able to use one lineup from schedules direct for several cards. That, and Ubuntu Feisty is end of life, probably a good time to flatline the boxes, upgrade, and start over.
I've learned a lot from tinkering though. For instance, Toss movies (DVD rips, etc.) in the movie section and get one set of playback controls.  Drop them in recorded, edit recorded so they show up, and have the same playback options as other recorded programs... bookmarks, for instance.
Just put them in a different recording group so they don't get mixed in with real recorded shows.
Maybe there's a way to get bookmarks in movies, so I don't have to do it this way. But, until I figure that out...