[mythtv-users] BD+ cracked in Linux now

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Nov 3 22:46:33 UTC 2008

Steve Heistand wrote:
>> users of the HD-PVR are reporting that 3GHz proc (single core as decoding
>> cant be multi-threaded yet) is need for the max qual. which is around
>> 14Mbps.  Blu Ray is around 30avg. to 40Mbps max.  A much faster proc wil be
>> required.  I dont know if you could even do it without transcoding or
>> hardware accel with todays procs.
>>
>> Mitchell
>>

> I have run blue ray movies on my windows machine using a really old amd 4200
> and nvidia 8500 graphics card just fine. off the drive that is, the machine
> does have issues playing back ripped/trancoded blue ray movies.
> not sure if this relates at all to linux as I havent tried. but its a data point.
>
> though this weekend I will be trying it out on my linux machine, at least
> if the doom9 article is available. was slashdotted when I tried earlier.
>

> "Why is it so hot inside this handbasket?"
> --
> Steve Heistand
> steve at heistand.org

A lot of movies end up encoded in mpeg2, rather than the high
compression H.264 or VC-1.  With your 8500 (and a commercial decoder),
you get quite a bit of offload to your GPU.  If I had to guess, I would
say you're using PowerDVD for BR playback, and just a free CPU based
decoder for file playback.

Just as a point of reference, my 2.2GHz C2D under Windows with ffdshow
(variant of ffmpeg) is good for ~10Mbps per core.