[mythtv-users] uPNP Problems

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 20:37:17 UTC 2008

On 03/11/2008 11:26 AM, Stephen Boddy wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 10:25 -0600, stuart wrote:
>> Stephen Boddy wrote:

>>> I believe it is integral now with the latest beta. It is added as a
>>> normal "video source".

>>> I don't think this is the case now. I did have problems (the image was
>>> massively zoomed in) but I did not use a samba share to start the video
>>> streaming when I was playing with it.
>>>
>>> Of course the big issue I have found that neither XBMC, or the UPnP
>>> stuff I've seen shots of, manage to solve: All programs in one honking
>>> big list. I tend to watch series back to back, and scanning down one
>>> single list of a thousand programs, all mixed up, is not really
>>> conducive to that.
>>>
>>> Steve
>> Really?  I thought the mythtv upnp server had sub directories that
>> filtered that sort of thing (filters based on date, channel, title,
>> ect...).  But, as I said, I could not get anything to play in these
>> directories.  I was only able to play the shows in the "honking big
>> list" (i.e. at the first level w/o any filtering).
>
> Hmmm. I could well be talking out of my bottom with respect to UPnP.
> It's definitely a big monster list in the internal XBMC stuff using the
> Myth protocol though. This of course makes it a bit useless as a MythTV
> frontend substitute.

XBMC's Myth interface != UPnP.

XBMC has a UPnP client as well, but it has nothing to do with the Myth
interface.

Also, the Myth interface in XBMC is currently in quite the state of
flux. It exists in it's current state as a "Placeholder" until the GSoC
project to integrate a "Universal PVR Frontend" is implemented. This
isn't expected to happen until after "Atlantis".

I'll have a word with elupus on the XBMC forums, and see if he'll add a
little directory seperation, so long recording lists aren't quite as
painful to navigate (Though if you move over to the scrollbar beside the
list, you are able to scroll by page, rather than by line, and you'll
get a nice letter showing up in the middle of the list to show where
abouts you are).
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston