[mythtv-users] A quick look at Mythbuntu 8.10

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 19:34:46 UTC 2008

I had a quick look at Mythbuntu 8.10 yesterday, and overall I liked
what I saw, but ...

For background I am currently running Knoppmyth, and I am somewhat
concerned by the sluggish update cycle, and I am somewhat interested
to see if the grass really is greener on the other side. So, after
shutting down my Knoppmyth box yesterday I disconnected my 500 GB SATA
drive and connected a 40 GB EIDE drive. Then I ran the Mythbuntu disk.

There was an issue at the first boot with the machine not detecting my
pcHDTV-5500 tuner card. This card was detected after I  installed
updates and rebooted.

After the install everything was a bit nicer / slicker than I was used
to on Knoppmyth. I like the concept of the easily done incremental
upgrades. Two things have given me pause though. In the small, near
trivial was the screen save is on by default (which I don't want). Far
more serious was watching OTA HDTV, which would stutter every few
seconds, something I find unacceptable.

Are there any obvious / easy performance tweaks I should be looking at
with Mythbuntu? I have installed the proprietary nVidia drivers (which
I assumed would be a real help...). The box is an Athlon 64 3200+ with
1.5 GB of RAM, an nVidia 7200 PCIExpress card and three tuner cards
(the pcHDTV-5500, a PVR-150 and a PVR-350).

Thanks.

Colin McGregor