[mythtv-users] uPNP Problems

Stephen Boddy stephen.boddy at btinternet.com
Mon Nov 3 16:04:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 09:18 -0600, stuart wrote:

> Stephen Boddy wrote:
> > On Mon, 2008-11-03 at 20:59 +1100, Anthony Giggins wrote:
> >> I’ve also tried from XBMC Beta2 running on Windows, but still I get
> >> the same errors.
> >
> > Probably no the help you're looking for, but XBMC has the myth protocol
> > builtin IIRC you create a network resource of:
> > 	myth://<IP>
> > There's some docs somewhere online.
> >
> > HTH
> > Steve
>
> Unless this has changed...
>
> My XBMC / Xbox experience was less then stellar.  Maybe the XBMC port to
> Windows is better.  Are the following features (issues) the same in Windows?
>
> - It's a plug in, so it is not part of the main XBMC menu.  The myth
> application is in a sub menu which you have to find.

I believe it is integral now with the latest beta. It is added as a
normal "video source".

> - The XBMC client still needs the actual recordings exported by a samba
> server.  This, despite the availability of the files by the myth server.

I don't think this is the case now. I did have problems (the image was
massively zoomed in) but I did not use a samba share to start the video
streaming when I was playing with it.

Of course the big issue I have found that neither XBMC, or the UPnP
stuff I've seen shots of, manage to solve: All programs in one honking
big list. I tend to watch series back to back, and scanning down one
single list of a thousand programs, all mixed up, is not really
conducive to that.

Steve