[mythtv-users] Is network required for single frontend/backend machine?

test sofasurferlinux at charter.net
Mon Nov 3 01:24:52 UTC 2008

Johnny Russ wrote:

> There are several reasons that the frontend might not be able to
> access the backend or the mysql database. One would be an actual
> connection/network issue. Several people have suggested that you
> connect through 127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1> or localhost. That should
> work unless you have some issue with the loopback, which is uncommon.

I was originally using my IP address of 192.168.2.3 but am now using
127.0.0.1.
In my last letter I posted the result of ifconfig which I think shows
good results.
> The other reason you may not be able to communicate is if you have an
> authorization or password issue with mysql. When the backend setup
> asked you for your mysql root password, it was needed to setup the
> mythtv user and password and the mythconverg table in the database.
> After that is done, myhthtv will access the database with the mythtv
> user. If you got the ip address or mysql root password wrong during
> the initial setup then the mythtv user and the mythconverg table never
> got created and so you won't be able to connect.

I edited my /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file to show the proper server address as shown...

user=mythtv
password=C1RFOKlE
database=mythconverg
server=127.0.0.1

I then entered these settings into the "live session configuration" window.

At this point I am given the option of testing the connection, which always fails.

Now I will study the rest of your letter and try to make sense of it. I am afraid that this is just too deep for me. So many names and passwords. And then the need to access databases and setup files. I don't understand why, if these steps are needed, why doesn't the setup process prompt me for these steps instead of assuming I am smart enough  figure out what I need to do?

Thank all of you for your help. I really do appreciate it. But I feel guilty for tackling a subject that I obviously am not up to dealing with and then having to depend on you guys to bail me out.