[mythtv-users] ASUS Service No=276140

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 14:43:51 UTC 2008

On 10/31/08, e_service at asus.com.tw <e_service at asus.com.tw> wrote:
> Mr. Colin,
>
> I am following up with your case regarding the M2N-MX SE Plus board that you
> are having problems installing a Linux based OS on. After researching your
> previous case info, I see that same problem was identified where the
> Knoppmyth OS gave errors and would not install on multiple boards. The
> repair technician came to the conclusion that the Linux based OS you are
> trying to install is not supported by this board. However, when any Windows
> OS was installed, it passed testing and ran successfully.
> Feel free to contact us if you have any hardware issues with the board or
> other problems with the board with the Windows OS that your board was
> tested on and guaranteed to support.
>
> Thank you,
>
> ASUS Techncial Support
> 812-282-2787 option 2, 2

Your manual does NOT state that this motherboard is a Windows only
motherboard. This brings me back to the problem I had 4 months ago, I
need a motherboard that can do a network boot for use as a MythTV
remote front end.

Four months ago I went looking for a motherboard with the following:

- Support for network booting.
- MicroATX form factor
- Support for AMD AM2 socket CPU
- nVidia GeForce 5200 or better on board graphics graphics
- Support for PCIExpress video card.

Now, according to your manual, the ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS meets all of
the above points, something I was given to understand was true during
my initial three motherboard returns. Only with this fourth service
return was I told that what is in the manual is incorrect. This leaves
me with two related problems, given the time that has elapsed I can
not return the motherboard to the place of purchase and I still need a
working motherboard.

Since I can not trust the material in the ASUS manuals, what
motherboards do you sell, with the above features, that do work under
Linux? Further, what is the proper way to dispose of a motherboard
that does not perform to specification?

Colin McGregor