[mythtv-users] Hauppauge WinTV 1250 not working

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Nov 2 02:26:23 UTC 2008

(In the US) Cable providers are required by law to provide the local
broadcast channels unencrypted over their system.  Some people get
lucky, and get cable channels unencrypted as well, most people only get
the local broadcast channels.  Also, when you do a channel scan, you may
find some spurious, unnamed channels.  Video-On-Demand is usually sent
unencrypted, and allocated as needed.  If you scan while someone in your
local area is using one of those channels, you will have access to it.

The 1250 is a hybrid tuner, with an analog framegrabber.  You probably
don't even want to mess with the analog side.  The drivers for the
digital side were added to the kernel in 2.6.24.  Anything more recent
than that and the digital (DVB) portion should 'just work'.  I didn't
have to do anything special to get my card recognized and working with
mythtv.

The built in channel scanner in mythtv does not like multiprocessor
machines.  If you have one, you may have to mess with the core affinity
when running mythtv-setup to get the card scanned properly.