[mythtv-users] Audio issues with Asus M3N78-VM and FC9

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 00:22:13 UTC 2008

Recently upgraded my Myth BE/FE combo machine using this new Asus board and
ATRPMs, and now I am having problems getting audio to work.

The onboard audio chipset is VIA VT1708B, which supports up to 8 channels.
The Northbridge is GeForce 8200.

My patch level:

Linux myth 2.6.26.5-45.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Sat Sep 20 03:45:00 EDT 2008 i686
athlon i386 GNU/Linux

First, based on what I read here, I uninstalled the pulse audio server, or
at least I think I did.  I removed all the packages related to pulse that
did not also want to remove a ton of dependent things, including myth.  What
I have left is

# rpm -qa | grep pulse
pulseaudio-libs-0.9.10-1.fc9.i386

Removing this package requires that I remove some stuff I want to keep, like
myth. :)

If there is a chance that the pulse server is causing this, how can I tell
if it is fully cleaned from my system?

My alsa packages look like this:

rpm -qa | grep alsa
alsa-lib-devel-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
bluez-utils-alsa-3.30-2.fc9.i386
alsa-kmdl-2.6.26.5-45.fc9-1.0.17-70.fc9.i686
alsa-lib-1.0.16-3.fc9.i386
alsa-utils-1.0.16-2.fc9.i386
alsa-driver-1.0.17-70.fc9.i386

For simplicity, I am using the analog audio port for now (with a splitter to
RCA red and white), figuring I would tackle digital audio (optical) later,
once I get analog sound working.  I have tried both headphones and my Onkyo
receiver, and neither can pick up more than a hint of sound, even at max
volume.  alsamixer (and kmix) both confirm that the audio levels are unmuted
and turned up to 100%.

Any idea why I am having so much trouble configuring sound on this new box?
Is this hardware just a little bit ahead of the drivers?

Larry