[mythtv-users] Firewire and F8

Michael Jones michael at michaelandholly.com
Fri May 30 06:20:24 UTC 2008

On May 29, 2008, at 5:22 PM, Harry Devine wrote:

> I have a Motorola DCT-3412 STB and F8 x64 running myth 0.21.  I have
> my
> firewire setup as a capture card, but my mythbackend will not
> initialize
> it.  Every time mythbackend starts, I get a message that says "Problem
> with capture cards" and "Card 6failed init".  This is seen in the
> mythbackend.log file as well as via Mythweb.
>
> I've asked similar questions about firewire before about 2 months ago,
> but go no responses, so I thought I'd try again.  I can run
> firewire_tester successfully, so I know that it's active.  I can even
> run the 6200ch script to change the STB channel, so my communication
> is
> definitely there.  Myth just doesn't seem to want to use it.  I was
> looking over the code on the SVN trac site (for what it's worth, I'm a
> programmer, mainly Windows GUI programming, so I do have a pretty good
> grasp on what I'm looking at) but can't seem to figure out why the
> firewire capture won't initialize properly.
>
> Is there some way I can get more debug type information so I can
> diagnose this further?

I just fought with my firewire connection recently. I had similar
symptoms.  It turned out to be the permissions on the /dev/raw1394 file.

I don't know for sure what the minimum permissions are for this file,
but I did a:

chmod 777 /dev/raw1394

If this is the issue, you'll also need to set it again on reboot from
the rc.local script.