[mythtv-users] dct6200 firewire problems, choppy video, scrambled sound

Dmitry Shesterin dscheste at gmail.com
Thu May 29 17:15:32 UTC 2008

Hello Team,

I am running Mythbuntu 8.04, Intel 2.8 single core, 2Gb RAM combo
frontend/backend.

Until recently, I had two Hauppage150 tuners and live was a breeze.

I got myself a Shaw HDTV receiver (not PVR) - Motorola DCT6200 and was
hoping to hook it up via Firewire to record HD and SD content.

I did remove one of the Tuners sitting on /dev/video1 and added a new
Firewire tuner via mythtv-setup. Nothing worked.

I then ran firewire_tester and got if finally to connect on broadcast.
And here's where the problems started.

1. If I chose to watch live TV via Firewire port, the picture emerges
and freezes, the sound appears but it is scrambled.
2. If I select to record, the recording starts and I can play the
recording later, but the recording plays choppy, the playback area is
640x480 and the sound is scrambled.

Any suggestions as what is going on?

I am using an Asrock Mobo that does not have native 1394, so I have
plugged in nGear Firewire 1394 PCI Adapter Card 3 Ext 1 INT Ports. I
did not install any additional drivers for it, it looks like it works
out of the box.

I also have two different channel lineups configured. The 150 tuner is
hooked up to schedulesdirect analog channels and firewire to the
digital lineup, this way I do not have my analog recorder grabbing
scrambled signal off the higher HD channels.

Cheers,

dscheste