[mythtv-users] I quit -- unless I can get some help!

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Thu May 29 17:05:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 11:50 AM, allene222 <nabble at oldpaloalto.com> wrote:

> On 5/29/2008 lemongecko at gmail.com wrote:
>

> > Now, did I forget something?
> >
> > Is this what I am going to have to do after every update?
> >
> > Allen
> >

> >The key to a happy life is: Don't update. Unless there's a new feature
> >you absoLUTELY must have or some outstanding bug you NEED fixed, do
> >what they do in production environments and leave it the hell alone.
> > ;-)
> So why don't they make the default so that the little square doesn't keep coming up and telling me there is an update while I am trying to watch TV? I know, all I have to do is google for an hour and I will find out how to turn it off.  An appliance should not ask you to upgrade, you should have to tell it you want to upgrade.  Is it any wonder that this is a frequently asked question given that the distribution continuously askes the user to upgrade?
> So, I will modify my plan and not do the upgrade step after the 7.10 install and add a step to figure out how to turn off the upgrade alert.
> PS.  I allowed the upgrade because SPDIF wasn't working and I thought it might get fixed.  That was a terrible mistake.

This is why I don't run KDE or GNOME or any other "full desktop"
window manager.  I use fluxbox which is light and doesn't bother me.
I'm not sure how Mythbuntu handles it but the more you steer your OS
installation away from the traditional desktop role the less you will
run into these issues.  It really has nothing to do with Myth.

Kevin