[mythtv-users] EPIA Failure from bad caps

Jerry Bett bjett80 at gmail.com
Thu May 29 12:45:27 UTC 2008

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 7:35 AM, Wouter van Atteveldt <wouter at 2at.nl> wrote:
>> > TV-Out duties... I'd consider junking the EPIA board now-a-days.
>
> [..]
>
>> I need to buy another small machine but I won't buy another EPIA .
>
> As per my previous post, I am a newbie considering using a VIA EPIA EX card for a mythtv. Would you recommend against that? What are your negative experiences with EPIA?
>
> -- Wouter

Wouter,

You might see my reply on your original post about heat problems with
small cases.

Overall, though, I found the EPIA (I'm using the older EPIA-M) a good
solution for both backend and frontend.  I didn't have any driver
issues.

Backend duties :
  Record SD with a Hauppage 150
  Record High Def via firewire from a motorola 6200
  Run mythweb  ( a tad slow but usable)

Frontend duties
  Play SD  (can't do the high def...I've got another computer that does that)
  Music server.

Until my recent problems with the capacitors on the EPIA-M,
reliability has been good - even with the firewire.