[mythtv-users] VIA EPIA EX for mythtv front+backend (newbie)

Marc drayson at net1plus.com
Thu May 29 12:15:15 UTC 2008

> I would also take a look at the Shuttle brand of quite small computers.
> They are a popular choice here on the list.
>
> http://us.shuttle.com/
>
> William

Thanks for the advice!

I considered the shuttle systems (eg SG33G5M or SN68PTG6 Deluxe ) but if I
am correct they are 31 cm deep, so I would prefer a smaller solution (I
would have to turn it around 90 degrees and leave space for the CD and
connectors, which is ugly and takes a lot of shelf space).

Also, from the specs I get the idea that performance is a more important
consideration for them than noise, can anyone comment on how silent these
systems are  / can be made?

Thanks,

-- wouter

We sell these to customers at work, they come back frequently for repairs.
So much so that we have started swapping them out for actual desktops.

How much room are you working with?
If you have the room and don't care about money, you could build your own
HTPC using one of these chassis from thermaltake.
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Category.aspx?C=1147

If you want as compact as possible, with everything built-in, do not plan to
put a capture card in it, and DEAD silent you could go for an Apple TV.
http://www.apple.com/appletv/
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Apple_TV
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythFrontend_on_Apple_TV_usi
ng_Gentoo
As stated, this is a frontend only option.
Downside is its not upgradable and you're limited to 40GB or 160GB HDD's for
video/music storage locally. Unless you want to crack open the machine and
void the warranty to increase the HDD size. It is however, feasible to
connect an external USB HDD enclosure to get extra local storage. And with
uPnP you can actually store video/music on your backend now as well.