[mythtv-users] How can I remove a maually installed nvidia driver?

Damian damian at gingermagic.co.uk
Wed May 28 11:03:44 UTC 2008

Mike Holden wrote:
> Damian wrote:
>> I installed the nvidia driver 173.08 manually, but I want to get rid of
>> it and nothing I do seems to work. Can anyone help?
>>
>> I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and downloaded the driver from nvidia. It seemed
>> to install ok, but breaks things as my CPU does not have SSE. I just
>> need to remove it.
>>
>> Looking forward to reading the trick if anyone knows
>> Damian
>
> Without knowing how you installed it, we can't tell you how to remove it!
>
> Was it packaged (rpm, apt-get), or a tarball?
>
> What commands did you run to install it?
>
> Where are the files it installed?
>
> What methods have you tried to use to remove it?
>
> What problems did you encounter?
>
> Error messages?
>
> Help us to help you!

Sorry for the lack of information. I often struggle to know what
information to give and sending ALL informations (logs etc) just feels
like spamming.

I installed the driver with something along these lines (found in my
google notebook):

    1. Download the drivers from nVidia website to your home.
    2. Open a terminal and type: sudo chmod +x
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-169.12.pkg1.run
    3. Hit CTRL+ALT+F1 to exit from the X windows system and go to a shell.
    4. Login with your username/password.
    5. type: sudo killall gdm
    6. type: sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.08.pkg1.run
    7. Follow the installer instructions. It’s really easy and it only
ask you a couple of questions.
    8. Reboot.
    9. If your X doesn’t work properly open a terminal and type
nvidia-xconfig .Then hit CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE to restart the XWindow System.

To remove the drivers, I've tried removing everything refering to nvidia
in the synaptic package manager. I've also tried using EnvyNG to remove
all nvidia drivers. Something is getting left behind though because I'm
still getting a message that the NVIDIA drivers only support CPU's with
SSE when I try to run certain things.

Damian