[mythtv-users] The HDTV Olympics Thread {RE: things missing from OTA HDTV, firewire, comcast, etc etc}

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Tue May 27 18:11:47 UTC 2008

So I've been plugging along happily for quite a few years with OTA
HDTV on my Myth cluster.. Last week my S.O. informs me that since the
olympics are coming on multiple HDTV channels we can't get over the
air (smart girl there) we're going to have to get
Comcast/DirectTV/fill-in so she can watch the HDTV feeds.

Little research reveals the following:

[quote=engadget]
If you thought 416 hours of Winter Olympic Games coverage was a bit
much, the 3,600 hours (that's 150 days worth, folks) that
NBC-Universal will be recording next year will seem like overkill in
its finest form. Sure enough, it will supposedly be covering every
facet of the 2008 Olympics in Beijing from August 8 - 24, 2008, and a
variety of networks including NBC, USA, MSNBC, and CNBC will be
carrying its programming. Notably, it will be displaying Olympics in
HD on Universal-HD, NBC HD, and USA HD, and while the exact amount of
HD coverage wasn't stated, even a fraction of the 3,600 hour total
would be mighty impressive.
[/quote]

She's right, while NBC-HD is OTA, Universal-HD and USA-HD are not.

I'd like to keep the signals coming into the Myth cluster, since I
have more than enough drive space to cover what we'll need, she's
familar with the interface, etc.

So, what's the current recommendation for HDTV recorded access to
those two channels? Anyone doing firewire-HD? Am I going to have to
put up with the craptastic HD-PVR for a couple months? I have several
QAM64/256 tuners, but I suspect even with a full-blown-subscription,
those two channels will still be fully encrypted.

thanks in advance for any help/advice.

thoughts?