[mythtv-users] Video+Audio over HDMI with nVidia

Steven Ihde steve at x2.hamachi.us
Mon May 26 21:28:14 UTC 2008

On Monday 26 May 2008 12:24, bjmisc-mythtv at bearhunter.com wrote:
> Steven Ihde <steve at x2.hamachi.us> wrote:
>  >Right, but note that even if you find the right nVidia card with a
>  > SPDIF input, it still won't work because the Linux driver doesn't
>  > support audio-over-HDMI yet.
>  >
>  >If anyone else on the list has got video+audio over HDMI to work
>  > with an nVidia card on Linux, please let us know!
>
> The ASUS EN7600GT is an nVidia card with SPDIF input that works just
> fine with Linux. No special setup is needed. It comes with a small
> fiber optic cable that connects to your sound card's SPDIF output,
> and then connects to a SPDIF input on the graphics card. Audio and
> Video then get combined to go through the HDMI cable to your TV.

That is really great to hear.  Thanks for the info.  Perhaps the poster
on the nVidia forums had some other problems or was just wrong.  Now if
I can just find a passively-cooled version of this or a similar card.

> use the standard ALSA drivers for my sound card, and the kmdl nVidia
> video drivers for the graphics card.

I assume you're just talking about the standard nvidia proprietary
driver?  I'm a Debian user and have never heard of "kmdl" before.  Is
that just RedHat-speak for the rpm containing the kernel module?

Thanks,

Steve