[mythtv-users] Mythbuntu 8.04 Sound Blaster Live - No Sound

Douglas Wagner douglasw0 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 16:12:42 UTC 2008

All:

Ok, i'm in a REAL bind here.  I have a week to get this figured out before
my WAF goes to the toilet.

Long story short I just switched from a Fedora based MythTV setup to an
Ubuntu Setup (MythBuntu ROCKS).  I have NO experience with Unbuntu or
Debian.

Installation went well, everything is up and running.  Initially I had no
sound at all.  WIthout doing much of anything (actually nothing other than
maybe a reboot I remember) I had actually, at one point, gotten sound to
work.  I came back the next morning and popped on the PVR and all of a
sudden i've got static...untuned radio like static comming from my SB Live!
board.

To be honest I have NO idea where to go from here.  Sound was always
something that "just worked" on the fedora box.  I am totally lost even
where to look for what's going on.  The static "changes" when I move the
menu or even telnet into the box so there's "something", and when I plug
into the onboard sound it stops (I get no sound from onboard and haven't
even tried to set it up, but I really don't want to have to use
onboard)...the static also stops upon box reboot till mythbuntu is partly up
where it comes back again.

As I said, I have NO idea where to even start with figuring out why I have
no sound or why i've got static.

I'm plugged by RCA to the TV (Single pin in Green Out from Sound Card to
White/Red RCA on TV.)

Any help on where to go or what to look at for why i'm getting static out of
my sound card would be VERY appreciated.  Any tutorials on how to setup
sound for an emu10k1 on mythbuntu would be appreciated as well as I have no
idea even what the basic methods of doing such are.

Oh, one last thing.  If I go to alasmixer to that card (alsamixer -c 2) and
mute either the master or the PCM sound the static goes off, comes back when
you unmute so in essence this is sound comming through the sound card.

HELP please. :)

--Douglas Wagner