[mythtv-users] Installing MythTV SVN - Fedora

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon May 26 15:20:16 UTC 2008

Joel Ostheller wrote:
> Guys-
>
> Was trying to quickly install via this howto:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora
>
> However I ran into two package install errors and both errors are the
> same so ill only list one. When I ran this command
>
> # yum install fftw2 fftw2-devel libid3tag libid3tag-devel libmad-devel
> flac-devel libdvdcss-devel
>
> I received the error:
>
> Error: Missing Dependency: flac = 1.2.1-4.fc9 is needed by package
> flac-devel-1.2.1-4.fc9.i386 (fedora)
>
> So I thought, no biggie ill just install flac again via this command
>
> # yum install flac
>
> which resulted with :
>
> Package matching flac-1.2.1-4.fc9.i386 already installed. Checking for
> update. Nothing to do
>
> So basically I dont know what to do with this dependency. I obviously
> see that the flac_devel is looking for the flac without the i386 on
> it. Id guess that is an error but dont know much more then that. How
> do I resolve this dependency issue? The two packages I cant install
> due to this odd dependency issue are flac_devel and fttw3-devel.

Without checking further I suspect that this is because the devel
package is being picked up from a different repo than the installed
package.
There are a number of packages which are available from atrpms, livna
and freshrpms which are ostensibly the same package, but are different
internally. Since more of the dependencies are available on atrpms, I
prefer that site to the others, but there are some packages which can
only be found on livna.

Try removing the already installed base package, then enable ONLY one of
the repos, and install the base + devel packages. NEVER have more than
one of those repos enabled at the same time, and in particular never do
a global 'yum update' with anything but the fedora repos enabled.

Take a look at
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Fedora_8_-_Package_Dependencies

to see a script + notes which discusses the repo problem and other
things. The wiki page you followed does not discuss that aspect.

Geoff