[mythtv-users] Help: No program info for QAM256 channels

zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com zoiks2004-ivtv at yahoo.com
Mon May 26 05:43:53 UTC 2008

Well, after some more trial and error, I have figured
out that I needed to run mythfilldatabase with the
--refresh-all option. I'm running mythbuntu, which
prompts the user to run mythfilldatabase as soon as
you exit mythtv-setup. Since I've been editing the
channels in Live TV, this is after running
mythtv-setup and hence after mythfilldatabase. That
does 3 things:

1) It borks all the channels that were scanned in
mythtv-setup, supplying channelnames etc. like
"UNKNOWN79#1" that are bogus. Apparently, then, myth
thinks it already knows the channel names once this
happens.
2) It borks some of the XMLTV IDs. It apparently
thinks it recognizes some of the scanned channels as
belonging to the lineup, and fills in these IDs
incorrectly on a bunch of the channels.
3) It marks channels as being identified, thus
preventing their "refreshment" during subsequent runs
of mythfilldatabase (unless refresh is forced).

Jeez. Anyway, in my efforts I've run across potential
bugs in myth. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

1) If someone changes channel data (e.g. XMLTV IDs)
shouldn't that trigger a refresh on the next
mythfilldatabase? That would have prevented much of my
difficulties, FWIW.
2) In the channel editor window, the channels don't
sort correctly as given in the "sort channels by"
selection. They neither sort correctly by name nor by
number.
3) The channel separator character in the scanning
window apparently does nothing. Correct me if I'm
wrong, but if I choose a period ".", shouldn't the
channels be recorded or shown with a period, like 79.1
instead of 79#1? I found that nowhere in myth is the
separator character actually used. (Is the character
just something used during scans only from the tuned
data?)
4) In the Icon download section, where you hunt for
icons that were not identified, if a long list of
possibilities appears in the selection window, then
the cursor movement is incorrect. If you go down more
than a few selections, the cursor suddenly goes near
the bottom of the list. Trying to go back up near the
top using either the "Up" key or "PgUp" fails - it
locks you in to the last few selections only.

Another thing: after all the discussion about
identifying the XMLTV ID data using tvlistings.com,
schedulesdirect, HDTV Magazine, etc., the easiest way
I found is to just click the "Preview" link in the
SchedulesDirect website when you are selecting a
lineup. If you do that, an entire table shows up with
the channel number, XMLTV ID, Channel name, etc. it's
already in a table - no need to hover or anything like that!