[mythtv-users] Using extra keys in a keyboard

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Sun May 25 21:21:33 UTC 2008

On 5/21/08, JCA <1.41421 at gmail.com> wrote:
>    I use an RF wireless keyboard to control my MythTV box. This
> keyboard comes with a plethora of extra keys and buttons all over the
> place which, when pressed, are totally ignored by MythTV. What I would
> like to do is to map the actions of those keys on to MythTV actions.
>
>   For instance, I have two buttons (not to be confused with the usual
> arrow keys) one labeled with an up arrow and the other with a down
> arrow, that I would like to map on to the MythTV volume increase and
> decrease functions. Anybody know how this can be done? I seem to
> recall coming across a HOWTO along such lines, but I can't find it :-(

Have a look here:

  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:Keyboards

You will find write-ups on some keyboards I have crossed paths with
(one of the PC dealers in my area has deals on factory refurbished
Microsoft keyboards, explains how my Linux boxes normally end up with
MS keyboards and mice... :-) ). Basic deal is use xev to find out what
key codes the various extra keys are creating and then edit the
.xmodmaprc file with that information...

Colin McGregor